Friday 8 July 2022

Beliefs, choices and freedom

 Beliefs, choices and freedom

I kept my beliefs on the side table to listen, 

 it is much easier to listen with nothing on your mindscape. 

There were people in the room, plenty, 

walking, talking and judging; my beliefs were used  

after every drink and snack; tissue papers, they destroy trees 

and end up in dustbins.  

Did my freedom ever pollute the other person’s?  

There is always an avalanche of words, comments and verdicts 

under which mine and yours die of suffocation and hypothermia. 

I thought of planting new trees, fresh, after considering the climate; 

I won’t allow them to be cut for tissue papers nor would I ever touch the other trees, 

let them find their own nutrients and heights. 

So, I have made some choices, was it deliberate? 

I still don’t know; I was made with much of what was there  

and I stitched them all with threads I had with me. 

They say, every coin has two sides and  

that every vegetable has its own poison, don’t overeat anything. 

Believes, choices and freedom, they come with double sides to be explored. 

This needlework to unstitch the make is tedious and yet so exciting 

as ‘new’ always give wings to the imagination; 

Is there any scope for new skies? 



written for

Friday Writings #34: Unsavory Topics

  

 

 

11 comments:

  1. What a wonderful poem! You have managed to raise so many issues and ask such important questions, while weaving it all together seamlessly. What could be more unsavoury than what we have been doing to the earth? I hope the choices we are free to make may start to be more intelligent, and that there is still time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it too, Sreeja. Just a little bit and I was reading it as

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too lived this, Sreeja. After a few lines I was reading reading it as a Metaphorical Poem about your writing about taking a stand on injustices that we see occurring around us.
    I was harrassed unmercifully once when I took a stand on a famous oil magnet as selfish and cruel in taking his deceased rich uncles wealth all to himself and not even allowing for a common law wife from having a million or so go to her.
    Since then I don't bring controversial issues on my own blogs. I will however, speak up on others' if they raise one on their posts.
    Good job, Sreeja!!
    And thank you for checking my entry today and for your nice comment.
    ..
    Jim,
    jimmiehov6.blogspot.com
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Did my freedom ever pollute the other person’s?" An incredibly thought provoking question .... I enjoyed your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thought provoking - there are sometimes consequences to freedom

    I know a place that will plant a tree (or many) for you

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was made with much of what was there... love that line... nicely done!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thought provoking ... how do we make our choices and are they as "deliberate" as they seem!?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for the visit and thoughtful comments!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like what you said about beliefs, choices and freedom can come with double sides. It can be quite true in today's fractured world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If more people examined how their beliefs, choices, and freedoms affect them and the rest of the world, things would be so much better for everyone. I understand personal/individual belief and choice, but when the choices of one person or group hurts others (or, like your poem suggests, the planet) then all of us are in trouble.

    ReplyDelete